Thursday, January 28, 2010

soapbox- i'm on it.

So, I’d like to admit that I only watched about the last 30 or so minutes of the SOTU last night. In truth I had no doubt that Obama would deliver a great speech. He’s an incredible orator. I’m just at the point that I want actions...I want the change I was promised, not more eloquently spoken words.

I did catch his statement about working with Congress to end “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”. He has made this statement numerous times and to be honest it kinda just ticked me off to hear it again. I am done with the verbal crumbs Obama throws to his GLBT constituents. I want ACTION.

I have discussed my disgust with DADT and this administration's lack of action with a few friends, both straight and gay. Although all agreed the policy should be ended a few (gay and straight) were okay with the lack of an actual timeline. “He is so busy, he has so much on his plate, he can't spare the political capital, he can’t change our nation overnight...”

Listen, I’m not an idiot. I realize all our problems cannot be solved in a matter of a day, a year or 4 years. But, you have to actually start crossing things off the list if you ever hope to accomplish anything. The things that can be tackled should be and DADT is something that could be stopped immediately. With one signature Mr. Obama could stop it. It is completely within his power- no Congress, no lobbyists, no votes- just a signature.

"... the President may suspend any provision of law relating to promotion, retirement, or separation applicable to any member of the armed forces who the President determines is essential to the national security of the United States" Title 10, United States Code, Section 12305(a)

So why doesn’t he?? Why in a time of war does my President do nothing but give lip service about this issue? Why is my President allowing the loss of soldiers at a time when we’re sending surge after surge to the Middle East? Why does my President not end this blatant discrimination?

Because he’s busy is not a valid excuse to me...to save political capital isn’t either. This isn't some outlandish idea- this is exactly how President Truman ended segregation in our armed forces.

Nothing annoyed me more than the way supporters of George W. Bush blindly followed him without criticism. I am now seeing this same kind of thoughtless defense of Obama with the same results to my blood pressure.

Let’s stop making excuses and demand action.

1 comment:

N said...

i couldn't agree more. i loved his speech, but i don't believe a word of it until something actually happens.