Thursday, December 15, 2011

just 2 more days

Can we talk?  Obviously, by that I mean- can I type and you read?  You could comment and then I could comment back and it would almost be like a conversation, but I think we’ve established a couple of things over the past 3 years- a. most of you don’t like to comment and b. I don’t have any problem blabbing on and on with or without responses.  It works for both of us, no?

I feel like I’ve been treading water on here for a while now.  I post the daily picture, I edit the weekend photos and give you the story and we go down memory lane on Fridays,  but it’s been a while since I’ve shared my actual thoughts on here, so I thought it was about time to remedy that.  Especially since I’m doing more thinking than I’d like to these days.

We’re just 2 days away from the end of the round.  Let me rephrase that- we’re just 2 days away from the end of the last round we’re traveling.  2 days away from the end of this so-called life. 

We’ve officially been assigned to Atlanta round 1 of next year.  We had requested it so the Wife can actively pursue job opportunities. I'll be doing the same.  She’s ready to move on from this job; I’m more than ready to have a job.

On top of the whole “find a job” thing we’ll both have going on at the beginning of the new year, we’ve also got to tackle the all the minor and major aspects of rebuilding our lives in Atlanta. 

Yes, we’re moving back to a city we know and back to friends and family, but if we’re being honest, we’ve got a lot of relationship rebuilding to do.  Life has gone on without us over the past 3 years and we’re coming home to a lot of changes.  Families have formed, babies have grown into toddlers, toddlers into kids, more babies are on the way, relationships have shifted and changed and we’re going to need to adjust to all of these things in one fell swoop.  Even with seeing everyone a couple of times a year, it’s still weird for me to think about how much change we’re coming home to- it’s almost like we’ve been asleep for 3 years and will wake up to find everything the same, but also very, very different. 

We’re going to need to buy cars, find a new house (or even more daunting/exciting build a new one), buy furniture, decide on our future in a million different ways and God help us, unpack all the things we left behind and all the things we’ve picked up along the way.

I’m excited.  I’m scared.  I’m up at night running through mountainous to-do lists in my head all while refusing to acknowledge this chapter is actually coming to an end.

I’m also trying to decide what I’m going to do with this here blog.  I started it a year before we left.  That’s 4 years of documenting our lives.  I did it to stay connected, to share our experiences, to preserve our memories of this incredible time in our lives. I think it did all those things and I’m really very happy to have had the outlet through it all. To feel that connection of sharing with loved ones and new friends has really meant a lot to me. 

I’m just not sure where this story ends.  Is it now?  Is it after our home leave vacation?  Does it continue through our readjustment period back home?  Right now, I’m just not sure.  Which is kind of our stock answer for every question that gets thrown at us or that we throw at ourselves these day. 

I know these one-sided convos have worked well for us in the past, but I may need some actual input on this one… 

4 comments:

MMM said...

You should stay!!and continue writing!!! Love your blog and all the stories you wrote! I Know you will have so many more to share with us!!!!

MAV said...

You are the one with another year ahead of you! You should start a new blog and continue the Melissa legacy!!

cynthia said...

I second that. Keep writing. I think you're fun and interesting no matter what's going on. You are an inspiration to me. And I'm sure you'l stil have lots of travels and eating to write about!

danvalley52 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.