Tuesday, April 5, 2011

you know who you are

We recently were invited to dinner by one of the higher-ups here in the Sydney office. He used to do this same job in the 80’s and has since had a career that has had him living all over the world.


A snippet from our night…


Him: “This life will change you. You’re still the person you were before and you hope people back home realize that, but you can’t help but change.”


Me: “I just feel like I always sound like an asshole to everyone back home. You want to share your life with the people you love, but how do you avoid sounding like an asshole?”


Him: “You can’t. No matter what, you’re always going to sound like an asshole.”


Ouch.


As much as I want to convey how incredibly blessed I feel every single day for this opportunity, I’m sure I don’t do that great of a job. I’m sure I’ve made more eyes roll then I care to know about over the past couple of years.


I know we’ve asked so much of our friends and family and it’s really because of all you guys back home that have helped us so much that we’ve even been able to do this. We’re beyond grateful. Truly.


Even if I apparently can’t do anything to avoid sounding like an asshole, I hope you know how thankful we are to have you in our lives and everything you’ve done for us.


xoxo

2 comments:

cynthia said...

I don't think you sound like an asshole at all! I think you always sound excited and thankful and you just want to share what's going on AND keep a record of it. Which, to me, is brilliant! Even if you have something to complain about oince in a while, who cares? That's life, it's not always fabulous 24x7. Keep up the good times. :)

MAV said...

Thanks for the kind words, Cynthia. We are so, so thankful for this opportunity and really try our best to stay humble and grounded. We've seen what happens when you don't try. Not pretty.

Our life is like any other though and has its ups and downs.

The "ups" just really make the "downs" worth it. I don't think anyone could hope for more.