Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pride

For the past 2-3 years I have been way over Pride Weekend. I have been attending since I was 15 and I'm no mathematician but (oh sweet Lord) that means I've been going half my life! Not to mention my tolerance for the heat, the crowds and the discomfort for the sake of being prideful has really been plummeting over the years.

That being said, I am really looking forward to Pride this year. Seems odd I know because everyone I've talked to who isn't going out of town that weekend is moaning and groaning about it being moved to the Civic Center. A ton of people have told me they have no intention of attending just because of the venue change.

Why the change of heart? Well first let me say the venue change doesn't bother me. At least I can ride Marta directly to the site this year, not blocks upon sweaty blocks away, and although I don't know the exact set up I am thinking some part of it has to be air conditioned! Sounds like a win-win to me.

But more importantly I think it is a really amazing time to be gay. Real change that affects our lives is happening now and it is actually change for the better. Just in the past couple of months we have made tremendous strides in our fight for marriage equality and with that rat-bastard's days in the White House numbered things can only improve.

I just can't imagine a better time to celebrate our diversity, our community and our commitment to equal rights.

Oh and then there is all the drinking and socializing, but hey we're gay...we know how to have a good time.

No comments: