Saturday, July 26, 2008

Getting older rocks!

I make it no secret that I hate getting older. I begged the Wife years ago to let me repeat my 27th year. "Nobody will notice, once I get to 29 I'm screwed."

The Wife's standing comment to my moans of aging is "It's better than the alternative". It isn't that I don't love my life. Sometimes I find myself in disbelief of how great my life really is...but the grey hairs and wrinkles I could live without.

I could also live, quite nicely actually, without this seemingly permanent broken foot. I've been using my bone stimulator for 2 1/2 weeks now and no change in pain or swelling.

I went to a new doctor yesterday and on top of being told the obvious "it's still broken" I was also told that I now have osteoporosis in my foot. This apparently happened because my body told itself "hey we're not using those bones so don't waste sending calcium down there". This is the same body that told itself "hey, we've been working on that break for a while now, lets just let it go".

I am starting to believe my body is an idiot.

So, I'm off to have an MRI Monday morning to see if there is more than one fracture or if it is something else all together. The doctor didn't tell me what that something else could be. I think he felt he had upset me enough with his being "very concerned" about the osteoporosis. I'm sure he knew if he said anything more the tears that were welling up in my eyes would have most certainly begun to fall.

He's my 3rd doctor and I really feel pretty good about him. He seems experienced, aggressive but rational and to be honest the first one who really seems to give a damn about helping me.

3 good things that came out of the visit:

1. 1st priority now is taking care of this osteoporosis and to do so I have to start bearing weight on this foot. Which means I am supposed to start walking around like a normal human again. Well, a normal human with an air cast on.

2. The doc said he is fairly confident that this will all be resolved and I should be 100% by January 17th.

3. Doc hopes (as long as MRI doesn't show anything funky) to get me out of this air cast in 3 weeks and into a tennis shoe.

Granted, never did I think I'd be happy to be sporting a tennis shoe...but I'm older now and with all the crap that come with that comes some good things, like perspective.

No comments: