Friday, June 3, 2011

the glamorous life

Before departing on this adventure we call life, we asked for advice from current people in the department. An American warned us “Don’t bring expensive clothes or anything you really love because hotel laundry will DESTROY it!”. Now, I will say that we traveled with this girl our very first round and never did I see even one of her hairs out of place, nor was there ever a moment where didn’t look like she had just stepped out of a Ralph Lauren catalog- but she was right. Oh, so right.


I found a hole in yet another article of clothing this morning as I packed for the weekend. That makes 5 pieces of clothing that I’ve found holes in since we arrived here. I’ve had things ruined before, but the sheer quantity and massive size of the holes can only lead me to believe that the hotel laundry in Australia was staffed by rabid monkeys.


I’m scared to look for more. I already have so few things to wear and per our friend’s advice, none of it is too nice anyway. I’m already wearing (and re-wearing) the bare basics every single day and now most of those basics have holes in them.


I realize I’m the farthest thing from a fashionista and it has only gotten worse on the road, just be ready for my new look- “un-chic hobo”.


Boo-hoo, right? I know some people would love to have the chance to have someone else do your laundry for you. Take it from someone who has no choice- not so great.


I’d kill for access to a washer/dryer and some good ol’ Tide and you seriously don’t want to know what I’d do for some Downey and a couple of dryer sheets.

No comments: