Thursday, November 6, 2008

dear california- kiss it.

Although our dear friend's sister who resides in California said it best (see comments on previous entry but beware there is no holding back with the language)I would like to say how incredibly disappointed I am in Prop 8 passing.

This vote of course doesn't directly effect my already unlawful Georgia marriage but it very much effects the prospect of it becoming lawful in the near future. It also greatly effects our plans to get married in Napa Valley when we return in two years...so say goodbye to that tourism revenue Cali, and if you knew us you'd know we don't do anything on a small scale, especially a wedding.

But in all seriousness, I think the thing it effects most is the trust I try to have in my fellow man.

To cast a vote to deny us the same civil liberties and freedoms OUR forefathers guaranteed to ALL of US is an atrocity. To cast a vote in favor of writing invidious discrimination into your state constitution is reprehensible.

No excuse is acceptable, especially religious ones...and I don't want to start quoting Bible verses here but if anyone reads this and wants to have a theological discussion about it please feel free to email me.

So to all those who voted in favor of Prop 8 in California and to those voters in Arkansas and Florida who helped them do the same thing and worse:

What you did was wrong. Period.

I pray for a time that no person ever has to feel separate and unequal from their fellow man.

At this time in our history, more than ever before, I take solace in the words of an incredible man spoken 45 years ago...

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

1 comment:

SunFresh said...

Definitely a bullisht call on behalf of Cali. The more I learn about the opposing forces the more disgust I find in the irony of it all. Mormons and minorities pushed the greatest opposition.

So lemme get this straight...it's okay to have children wives, multiple wives, and subject underage women to sexual acts. It's also okay to have a utter disregard for civil rights, such as the basic right to love and have that love recognized, validated and protected DESPITE the fact that your ancestors once had as much value as cattle and horses (aka slavery/property). Is this a case of hazing? You don't haze when it comes to basic freedoms.

anywho - yeah prop 8 is some crapola. (i work w/ JV)