Sunday, October 24, 2010

We're here!

After a few hiccups like almost missing our connection in Amsterdam and then missing the bus into Tokyo making it another long 4 ½ hours before we got to our hotel- we finally arrived Saturday late afternoon. Sadly one of my bags did not. Hopefully it will come today though.

We didn’t do much yesterday in our jet-lagged state. I had slept about an hour and a half on the flight and passed out around 7pm on Saturday only to wake up at midnight and stay awake until 3am. Considering our “last night in Dublin” shenanigans only allowed me only 3 hours sleep on Friday night I wasn’t too interested in exploring Tokyo yesterday.

We did take a walk around the neighborhood. We’re kinda on the outskirts of everything, but it’s a nice area, close to a train station and there are tons of restaurants/shops. I love the food shops here so much! I couldn’t tell you what half of the items are but they look so interesting. I could stay in them for days just exploring all the colors and textures.

Everyone else arrived last night and it was great catching up over a few drinks in the lounge. I think we’ve got a pretty good group of people and I’m predicting a really nice end to our year here in Japan.

I’ve got a visitor of the French variety coming today on his way to Manila. I’m really looking forward to having someone to keep me awake for most of the afternoon. It is only 9:30am and I’m dying for a nap. I was actually up until midnight last night. I was oh so proud thinking I was totally going to get on schedule staying up so late. Oh so proud until I was awake at 4am this morning. At 5am I decided I should go to the gym instead of wake up Jules anymore. As suspected, this jet lag is going to probably kick my ass for a few days before easing up.

Jules left for her first day at the office and I’m praying her hours aren’t as crazy as they’ve been in Dublin. At least the commute is much shorter.

Oh, oh, oh…and I felt my very first earthquake yesterday. I was lying on the bed and started moving back and forth. I was like “what the what?” It continued for probably 20 seconds. It was weird, very mild and I don’t care to experience another one.

We’re staying this first weekend in Tokyo and I’m so excited I could pee in my pants! Sure I’m looking forward to seeing more of Tokyo, but the real excitement comes from knowing we’ll be living in the same hotel room for 13 whole days.

Amazing! We haven’t stayed in one place for longer than 5 days since early April. I was giddy yesterday unpacking every single little thing. I’m even thinking of maybe painting or changing the carpet. I mean 13 days? That’s like a long term rental right??

No comments: