Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reefs, Rainforests and Roos

DSC_0046

Our first real weekend in Australia and I think we covered the basics…we snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef, fed kangaroos, saw crocodiles, pet some wallabies, ran from an emu, watched koalas sleep and eat eucalyptus and drank a few Tooheys (this is “Australian for beer”, I haven’t even seen Fosters here).

We had a hellacious flight on Friday night.  It was probably the worst of my life and I pray it holds onto that title. We were dropping and slamming from side to side on and off through the entire 2 1/2 hour flight.  Not cool.  I was shaking and seriously thought I was going to throw up out of fear.  Thankfully our flight back was smooth because otherwise you’d need to travel to Sydney if you ever wanted to see me again. 

We landed late and all went straight to bed since we had an early morning ahead of us to get out to the Great Barrier Reef. 

About 2 hours out to sea and we were there…

DSC03739

We hit three different dive/snorkel sites and each was better than the last.  We saw literally hundreds of different tropical fish, a sea turtle, massive clams, gorgeous coral gardens, hordes of f-ing jelly fish (thank God for ‘stinger suits” otherwise we would have been toast) and I even spotted a reef shark.  Needless to say, no one had mentioned anything about sharks to me, reef or otherwise, so I was pretty freaked out for a while, but apparently they don’t dine of humans so I could enter the water again.

It was a long glorious day and afterwards we were beat.  After some much needed showers we hung in the lounge and had a couple cocktails and watched thousands of giant bats take to the city at sunset…

DSC03780

(yeah those are bats!) before heading to the harbor for some local seafood.

With El Diablo going back to the reef the next day, us 3 Georgia girls decided to stay on land and spent the day hiking the Daintree Rainforest…

DSC_0016

DSC_0041

floating down the Daintree River looking for crocs…

daintree river

DSC_0052

driving along the beautiful Aussie coast…

DSC_0091

DSC_0006

checking out some Aussie natives…

DSC_0102

DSC_0208

DSC_0269

and actually petting and feeding kangaroos and wallabies…

DSC_0150

DSC_0236

DSC_0177

DSC_0231

Which, as you can see from the ridiculous grin on my face,  I obviously thought was the pièce de résistance of the entire weekend. 

Great Barrier Reef, yeah it’s one of the world’s 7 natural wonders, but is it a cute as a wallaby? 

DSC_0192

I didn’t think so.

 

Pictures from this weekend...

No comments: